Nutrition: This Dish Is Rich In…
Carbs: Veggies, Beans
Fat: Olive Oil
Vitamins and Minerals: all! (the veggies and herbs have tons of fiber!)
Note: Children should use plastic or table knife for all Child steps that require cutting/chopping.
1 medium Onion
2 cloves Garlic
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 bunch Kale
1/2 bunch Broccoli Rape
2 14-ounce cans Cannellini (white) Beans
1 28-ounce can Whole Tomatoes
4 cups Chicken Broth
3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
Salt, to taste
1. (Adult) SLICE the onion into this slices.
2. (Adult & Child) Help CHOP the onion slices.
3. (Adult) SMASH the garlic with the flat side of the chef’s knife and chop.
4. (Adult) Heat a large pot over medium heat. add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
5. (Adult & Child) Help CHOP the garlic and add to the onion. Help STIR using oven mitts to protect their hands from heat.
6. (Child) While the onions are cooking, help TEAR up the kale and broccoli rape.
7. (Adult) ADD the greens to the pot, increase heat to medium and stir the greens until they wilt.
8. (Adult & Child) Help OPEN the cans of beans and tomatoes with a can opener.
9. (Adult & Child) Help SQUEEZE the tomatoes into the pot.
10. (Adult) DRAIN and RINSE the beans in a colander. ADD to the pot.
11. (Adult & Child) Help stir while adults add the chicken broth (children always using oven mitts to protect their hands while they stir).
12. (Child) Pluck the thyme leaves from their stems. ADD to the pot.
13. (Adult) Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
14. (Adult) Serve after cooking 10 minutes all together with load of crusty bread.